The Visiting Judge (VJ) Program for the Court of Common Pleas provides coverage for cases in those instances when the Assigned Judge is unable to hear a case that is ready to proceed to trial, or requires coverage due to an extended leave of absence.
Contact information for the Visiting Judge Program
- The VJ will hear only civil trials, as approved by the Administrative Judge.
- The order of case assignment to the VJ(s) will be on a 1st come 1st serve basis, unless a case has been assigned in advance.
- Trials must go forward immediately, upon assignment to the Visiting Judge.
- Oral arguments and decisions on pending civil motions (summary judgment, motion in limine, discovery matters, etc.) can be heard by a VJ.
- No request for a continuance is to be granted by the VJ without the approval of the Assigned Judge.
- Any exceptions to these guidelines must be specifically approved by the Administrative Judge.
Phone (614) 525-4182
The following list of Visiting Judges are approved to serve in the Franklin County Common Pleas Court - General Division. Please note attorneys are not permitted to request a specific Visiting Judge. Case assignment is made by the Court.
Honorable David E. Cain
- Retired Judge from Court of Common Pleas, Franklin County, Ohio (1987-2018)
- Private Law Practice (1974-1986)
- Member of Columbus City Council (1980-1983)
- Reporter, The Columbus Dispatch (1967-1977)
- Junior High School Teacher, Southwestern City Schools (1967-1969)
Honorable Dale A. Crawford
- Retired Judge from the Court of Common Pleas, Franklin County, Ohio (1982 – 2006)
- Municipal Court Judge, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio (1979 – 1982)
- The Ohio and National Judicial College Speaker
- Arbitrator and Mediator
Honorable Daniel Hogan
- Retired Assistant Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney (2015-2017)
- Retired Judge from the Court of Common Pleas, Franklin County, Ohio (1997-2014)
- Assistant Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney (1980-1996)
- Assistant Columbus City Prosecuting Attorney (1978-1980)
Honorable Guy L. Reece II
- Retired Judge from the Court of Common Pleas, Franklin County, Ohio (1992-1995) (2003-2019)
- Director of the Franklin County Board of Elections (1999-2003)
- Municipal Court Judge, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio (1990-1992)
- Assistant Columbus City Attorney (1980-1990)
- Colonel U.S. Army (Retired)
Honorable Pat Sheeran
- Retired Judge from the Court of Common Pleas, Franklin County, Ohio (2005-2016)
- Chief Counsel and First Assistant Prosecuting Attorney (Civil Division) (2000-2005); Franklin County Prosecutor’s Office; Senior Criminal Trial and Appellate Prosecutor, (1977-1989) (1990-1994)
- Magistrate, Franklin County Court of Common Pleas. (1994-2000)
- National Judicial College, Faculty, 2008.