The Visiting Judge (VJ) Program for the Court of Common Pleas provides coverage for cases in those instances when the Assigned Judge is unable to hear a case that is ready to proceed to trial, or requires coverage due to an extended leave of absence.
Contact information for the Visiting Judge Program
- The VJ will hear only civil trials, as approved by the Administrative Judge.
- The order of case assignment to the VJ(s) will be on a 1st come 1st serve basis, unless a case has been assigned in advance.
- Trials must go forward immediately, upon assignment to the Visiting Judge.
- Oral arguments and decisions on pending civil motions (summary judgment, motion in limine, discovery matters, etc.) can be heard by a VJ.
- No request for a continuance is to be granted by the VJ without the approval of the Assigned Judge.
- Any exceptions to these guidelines must be specifically approved by the Administrative Judge.
Phone (614) 525-4182
The following list of Visiting Judges are approved to serve in the Franklin County Common Pleas Court - General Division. Please note attorneys are not permitted to request a specific Visiting Judge. Case assignment is made by the Court.
Honorable Dale A. Crawford
- Retired Judge from The Court of Common Pleas, Franklin County, Ohio (1982 - 2006)
- Municipal Court Judge, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio (1979 - 1982)
- The Ohio and National Judicial College Speaker
- Arbitrator and Mediator
Honorable Nodine Miller
- Retired Judge from The Court of Common Pleas General Division, Franklin County, Ohio (1995 - 2005)
- Municipal Court Judge, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio (1992 - 1995)
Honorable Alan C. Travis
- Retired Judge, Court of Appeals, Tenth Appellate District (2005-2007)
- Retired Judge, Court of Common Pleas, General Division, Franklin County, Ohio (1992-2005)
- Chief Counsel, Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office (1974-1992)
- Private Practice of law (1968-1974)
- Assistant Attorney General of Ohio (1965-1968)
Honorable John P. Bessey